Myogenesis, Inflammation & Muscle Function
The Research Group on Myogenesis, Inflammation & Muscle Function is a research group of Institut Hospital del Mar d'Investigacions Mèdiques affiliated to Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) led by Dr. Joaquim Gea. The group focuses on the role played by proinflammatory cytokines as a signaling molecules in the repairing-remodeling processes in muscles of patients with different processes with a relevant systemic inflammatory component, which share muscle dysfunction and/or loss of muscle mass. The research is mainly addressed to lung diseases such as COPD and lung cancer, but also muscle problems in aging, fibromyalgia and scoliosis.
The main research lines are:
- Effects of hypoxemia and respiratory loads on the ventilatory muscles: role of TNF-alpha and oxidative stress.
- Cachexia and non-metastatic lung cancer: role of muscle cytokines and oxidative stress.
- Study of exacerbations of COPD in Spain (ECOS).
- Phenotypic characterization and progression of COPD.
- Oxidative stress and cytokine expression in muscles of patients with fibromyalgia.